On this one particular evening, I played His voicemail, I remember this evening so well; the message stated, “Hi baby, it’s India. I wanted to know if you wanted to hangout or something. I’m in your area. Call me when you get a chance.”
I couldn’t believe my ears. I had to replay that message again. I kept thinking, I know that girl, India. She sounded like the girl from my school.
How ironic, the girl has the same name as the girl in my school and the same voice. It has to be her. I couldn’t believe it.
Let me explain; India is this girl that I went to college with. I never really was a hug fan of her. I can’t remember why, I think it was because of a comment she made, I think pertaining to my mom selling Avon. Something of that sort and I confronted her about that comment and since then we never really spoke. I told Him about that encounter with the girl when it happened. He said, the girl was corny, pay her no mind. We were together at that time, when the encounter happened. A few weeks later a restaurant opens in Times Square and He applied for the job and was hired. You would never believe it, India also got hired at the same location. He asked me if I knew someone name India, and I said yes. I told Him I know her from the school. That’s the girl that made that comment. He said okay, the girl works with him. Now you know, it’s a small world.
Now back to the original dilemma. India’s voice is on His voicemail. This man has the nerve to associate with this girl, knowing I don’t like her. That’s like next to the number one rule of relationships, alright maybe number 5. I know it’s an important rule. You are not suppose to even look at the girl. Shit, be in the same room as the broad (pardon my French. I’m getting a flashback). She has the audacity to talk to Him, knowing we don’t like each other. Well I didn’t like her. I started flipping out. Thoughts ran threw my head. How long has this been going on. I was in total shock.
All of a sudden I ran to my mother and told her what I heard. I fell on her bedroom floor crying. I was spread across the floor sobbing. I couldn’t believe this. My mom looked at me like I had two heads.
“Wait, what happen? Get up! Get up!” She screamed.
“I can’t. How could He do this to me?”
“What the hell happened?”
I guess she couldn’t hear me through the sobbing. You know when you are crying and you get a little hiccup. Yeah, I was crying hard.
“The girl on his voicemail is the girl that I don’t like. She goes to my school. Don’t you remember, when I told you about some girl in my school, that I’m not a big fan of? Remember? You said she was envious and to watch myself. (she nodded) She called His phone and left him a voicemail.” I cried. I couldn’t explain it how I wanted to, I just played the voicemail for her.
Hearing it again, I began to sob harder. I couldn’t believe this. This is the ultimate slap in the face.
My mom bended down to pick me up; I kept falling to the floor, sobbing.
“Mom help me. Why?” I cried.
I crawled down the hallway crying uncontrollably. I spread my body out at the end of the hallway. My mother was following me the whole way. She finally bended down again and patted my back.
Calm down. Maybe He can explain.”
“No, He can’t.” I cried. I cried harder and harder. My mom rose up from the floor, and shouted;
“Get up! Get dress! We are going to His house. I’m going to beat His ass! Get up!” She yelled.
Her yelling startled me. I looked up at her like she was crazy.
“Wait, what?” I said. My sobbing eased up a little.
“I said, Get up! I’m tried of this shit. I had enough. I’m going to His house to beat His ass.”
She started walking to her bedroom. She grabbed her pants. I followed her to her room.
“Okay, mom. Wait.” I started to wipe my tears. “Hold up. We don’t have to go. Don’t worry I’m fine.” I said. I was scared. My mom is crazy, she would fight anyone. Men, women, animals, you name it.
“Are you sure?” She turned around and looked at me. “I’m tried of this.” He’s going to explain something to me.”
“Yes, I’m sure.” I said.
The last thing I wanted is for my mom to get all caught up in my mess.
“Alright now, I’m going to leave it alone.” She said, while she unzipped her pants.
“
Okay, mom, thank you for your concern.” I said, while I walked away. She started mumbling and talking to her self about the situation.
I still felt bad. I kept thinking. I did not know what I did to deserve this. I had to speak to Him about this.
I walked to my room and just laid down on my bed for a few minutes. I needed to rest my brain for a little while. A couple minutes went by, and I started to think about how I was going to approach Him. I didn’t want Him to know I was checking His voicemail. I needed His voicemail. I wanted to know what was going on with Him. Who He was speaking to, and hanging out with, so I had to be discreet. I decided that I was going to say that I heard it from her friend. This was false, but….
I grabbed the cordless phone and dialed His number.
“Hello.” He said
“So I heard that you and India, the girl from my school talk.”
“What, whatever. I don’t have time for this.”
“Be honest.” I said
“Who told you that?” He said.
“No I asked you a question first.” I have this thing, that when I ask you a question an answer
should follow. Am I Right or Wrong? There is no such thing as a person asking a question and the next person asking another question. It’s question, answer. “In America a basic conversation is question and answer. I asked you a question; you are obligated to give me an answer.” I said.
I heard a pause. Damn I think I went too far, but it’s the truth.
“What! This is one of the problems. You do not know how to speak to people. You speak to people, like they are beneath you. I don’t have to answer your question. I don’t have to answer my phone.”
“I do not think people are beneath me. But I’m asking you a question. I can’t believe you are associating with the girl I don’t like. I told you about what happen. You know what you are a foul person. ( I was getting furious) I would have never done that to you. You have no respect for me as a person, or as a woman.”
“What are you saying? There’s nothing going on between India and I. We are just friends. Now who told you that?” He said.
I breathed a sigh of relief. If the man was lying, I couldn’t do anything about it. But right now he’s telling me that there’s nothing going on, so I can accept that. I can put aside one of the important rules to a relationship. I was willing to put aside morals and my opinions for Him. I wanted to keep Him by any means necessary.
“Her friend told me.” I said.
“Her friend?”
“Yes. That’s why it seems fishy. Why would she tell her friend about it if it wasn’t serious?”
“I don’t know.” He said.
We paused again. I started to think, about HER. Maybe they weren’t that serious, or were they.
“Okay well, I’ll speak to you later.” He said.
Damn I didn’t want to get off the phone.
“Okay bye.” I said
I really didn’t know what to think. It started to become more confusing.
I called one of my closet friends at school and told her what happen. She was upset and ready to fight. I asked her if I should confront her on Monday at school. I don’t really remember her accurate response, but I know one thing, I was going to anyway.
That night I couldn’t sleep. I was anxious and at the same time I was hurt. I can’t believe in a million years I would be in this situation. I would have never thought this would happen to me. I don’t know if I thought I was some immortal human, but I got it twisted.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey boo its really good but im mad it jus stopped im already all into it...hurry up and post the rest
ReplyDeleteI've already told you how I felt about this piece. Go for it! I'm right behind you.
ReplyDeleteDef good stuff, I'm dying to read the rest! It really hits you... :)
ReplyDeleteI love it! I want to read more. Please send me more.
ReplyDeleteOk.. so give us more!! I have a few questions.. but maybe its answered in other chapters.. so hurry up and post it and I'll be reading :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's good. It does what a story is suppose to do. it captures the reader. now all you have to do is maintain that hold. Good job!
ReplyDeleteOMG this made me tear up soraye, cant wait to read the rest. WOW is all i can say <3
ReplyDeleteVery Capturing..... Hurry Up, Like everyone has said...lol.... I also love the fact that you are that close with your mom and Gannga...lol
ReplyDeleteWTF! OMG... I would NEVER frigging think this shit would happen to you boo. I'm sorry you had to go through this.
ReplyDeleteTrisha Scott
I am very proud of your strength to be able to share this with the world. Stay positive and focused because you are about to go to another level...See you on Top!!!!
ReplyDeleteNikki
I LOVE YOU RAYE!! YOU ARE AMAZING & DESERVE THE BEST!! I am so proud to have u as a friend. This made me cry & laugh. Tell mommy & grandma that I loveeeee them. They raised a beautiful person:-) I love youuuuuuu muah
ReplyDeleteI'm LOVING it and want to hear more! Guess we gotta do dinner soon. We need to catch up on a few things anyway.
ReplyDeleteI wish you the absolute best and will SUPPORT you every step of the way!!!!!!
Excellent Sorrah!!! I love it :) Keep writing and I will keep on reading... I think this is great insight on "real" life experiences. At one point I had teary eyes that type of pain is all too familiar. Love ya :)
ReplyDeleteHi Boo, I know it's about time! lol I told you that this is truly amazing! You are gifted and talented and I admire your courage to tell your story. I love you and I can't wait to have you sign your first published copy!!!!!!
ReplyDeletewow im glad i read this ... really good !! i can hear u saying everything u write. lol o wow.. this stuff is so intense i cant wait for the rest!!
ReplyDeleteSoraye, I really enjoyed your blog I can't wait until the book comes out. I'm very proud of you!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read the rest, I'm sorry you had to go through this but I'm so proud of you. I'm happy you're using your anger and hurt in a positive way. Love you!
ReplyDeleteoh wow this is really really good!!! very real, heartfelt and filled with emotions...you have a gift and I know you have lots & lots more to write so come on don't keep us waiting...I do have 1 question for you but I'll ask you privately ;)
ReplyDeleteGuuurrrrllllll, I had not a clue you were going through all of this!!! I feel so bad that I wasnt a better freind to you...please forgive me I promise I will keep in touch more often. This WILL make a great book. I'm already hook...please post more. I am so proud of you...
ReplyDeleteWipin away my tears- this is deep
ReplyDeleteI typed so much and it got lost! I appreciate your transparency. You have made me cry and laugh! I feel compelled to share my testimonies in a manner such as this. Remain God Focus. I love you. Thanks so much for being vulnerable and true enough to yourself that you were able to give so much of yourself. Blessings friend, you have inspired me
ReplyDeleteokay....where's the rest of it??!!!! You got me all "caught up" in the drama and I want to know what's happening at this moment. lol! Seriously, this is great writing. Pulled me right into it in just that little bit of time. Can't wait for the completion of the book. When????
ReplyDelete